Before the Township school system started in 1835, schools were administered by religious organizations (for example, Merion Friends’, 1769; St. Paul’s Lutheran, 1787) by trustees who held the school as real estate to benefit the neighborhood…by a teacher for profit…or by bequest (Lower Merion Academy). After 1835, six schools joined as “common schools” to form the early school system: Fairview, Mt. Pleasant, Merion Square, Lower Merion Academy, Pennsville School (Blockley) and Union. The school directors built their first schoolhouse, “Wynne Wood,” by 1836. With a growing stable school population, the 1870s saw the school directors build and enlarge the schools that we remember today.