Lower Merion Historical Society

The Lower Merion Historical Society

« Burial Records

Lower Merion Baptist Church

911 New Gulph Road
Bryn Mawr, PA 19010
Lower Merion Baptist Church website

church im=n two sections, gray stone steeple on right, white church on left
wide view across the cemetery
Dalzell grave monument: stone anchor and rope wrapped around a cross
Elizabeth A. Young grave stone with flower carving
grave monuments: stone obelisk and two celtic crosses
set of 13 steps leads up to stone monument with metal plaque
The 1931 Revoutionary War monument at Old and New Gulph Roads

The Lower Merion Baptist Church was founded in 1808 and built in 1809. It was rebuilt in 1875, and stands on ground given by Charles Thomson. In its burying ground lie veterans of the country’s wars, and sixteen descendants of William Penn.

The cemetery was opened in 1811, with a restriction that stones be placed horizontally, no more than 18 inches above the ground level. This restriction was lifted in 1833. The cemetery has always had an open policy for burials, accepting members of all faiths. A section was set aside at one time for “strangers and persons of color.”

The Merion Chapter of the National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution placed a granite block in 1931 at corner of the cemetery at Old and New Gulph Roads, memorializing the services of Charles Thomson, secretary to the Continental Congress, and soldiers from the township who served in the Revolutionary War. Steps leading to the memorial represent the thirteen American colonies, and were dedicated to the memory of Margaret B. Harvey, historian and botanist, and Louisa Harley Arnold, mother of Gen. Henry H. Arnold, both members of the DAR.