Cynwyd Station

Living History With Ted Goldsborough Episodes
“Living History” is an interview program with participants talking about Lower Merion or Narberth

Jerry Francis, President of the Lower Merion Historical Society, discusses the revitalization of the 1890 Pennsylvania Railroad’s (PRR) Cynwyd station.

This branch of the PRR, called the Schuylkill Valley Division, opened in the 1880’s to compete with the Reading Railroad in bringing coal to Philadelphia. George Brooke Roberts, President of the PRR, lived in Bala Cynwyd. The early train stations served as post offices. Station masters/mistresses lived in them. This interview reviews the history of the Cynwyd brick-and-timber station during a 6-year project undertaken by the Lower Merion Historical Society with partial funding from Montgomery County, Lower Merion Township, and the historical society.  Recorded April 2015.