Conshohocken State Road and St. Asaph’s Road
Bala Cynwyd, PA 19004
On November 16, 1887, six gentlemen met at Pencoyd, home of George B. Roberts, and became the founding vestry of the Church of St. Asaph. They chose Theophilus P. Chandler as architect, and he designed a building that resembles St. Asaph Cathedral in Wales, reflecting the origin of the Bala Cynwyd area’s first settlers. The Robertses donated land for the church; ground was broken the following spring, interrupted by the blizzard of 1888.The cornerstone was laid that May, and the Victorian Gothic building rose amid the fields,close to the still unpaved City Line Avenue and the Schuylkill Valley spur of the Pennsylvania Railroad.
The first service in the completed church took place on March 24, 1889. When the first rector,the Rev. Frederick Burgess, arrived in June, the money collected at his first service was sent to the victims of the recent Johnstown flood, beginning a history of outreach that continues to the present day.
Updated March, 2003