36 Ardmore Ave

Year Built: 1887, 1930

Comments: St Mary's Episcopal Church

St. Mary's Episcopal Church was designed in 1886-7 by the architects Furness & Evans. Frank Furness, a local legend, is also internationally known for his inventive, eclectic Victorian style, which often included a great amount of Gothic Revival influence, which is evident in St. Mary's. The church is of massive stone construction, displaying Gothic windows and typical Furness details such as exaggerated wooden brackets on the entry portico. The main church was altered in 1924. The rectory (now the church office), by Baily and Bassett, dates to 1898. The Parish house was originally designed by the same firm, with Joseph W. Anschutz, and was rebuilt in 1970. Stained glass in the complex was designed by Tiffany, Willet, and D'Ascenzo Studios, among others. (88)--Historic Class 2 no. AR071

Keywords: Ardmore, Ardmore Business District

1905

1955

1960

1970

Circa 1892

Play&Learn_4946

Play&Learn_4955