75 Ardmore Ave

Comments: The site of Ardmore Ave Elementary School from 1875 to 1963, including Lower Merion High School from 1894 to 1910. Replaced by Ardmore House in 1986.

Keywords: Ardmore, Ardmore Business District

05
1875-1900 --Lower Merion High School
and Ardmore elementary school
until burned in 1900.
Built circa 1875.

10
1875-1900 high school students.
--W Robert Swartz Collection no. BS975.

12
The school was first built in 1875, according to Josiah S Pearce.

15
1900 Fire destroys the first building. --Charles Barker scrapbook vol. 1, Historical Society of Montgomery County

20
Students view ruins of the Ardmore Avenue School in October 1900. The school was rebuilt c. 1901. --W. Robert Swartz Collection

22
part of the ruins

23
The burned-out shell, from the Charles Barker scrapbook vol.1 at the Historical Society of Montgomery County

25
New building
circa 1901 - front

30
c.1910 postcard from Joe Newby, Lower Merion Township employee. It was given to him by George Hofstetter, a retired L M Fire Marshal.

35
1901 building on the right connected by bridge over driveway to 1913 grammar school annex on the left.
--Swartz collection no. BS976,scanned by Ben Kleiman 2011-09-24.

40
1912-1913 photo for "Thirty Miles Around Philadelphia on the Pennsylvania Railroad / Information for the Suburban Home Seeker and the Summer Sojourner / 1913" but not used there. The wooden street sign says "School Lane."
(the booklet is filed in Flat File 5 drawer 1)

50
1916 or later, front

55
1916: The spiral toboggan fire-escape inside the vertical tube was added, much to the delight of the male students who thought of it as a giant sliding board. The building served as an elementary school until 1963.
The photo shows it in use to train fireman before the building was demolished in 1965. --Swartz Collection negative scanned by Ben Kleiman, May 2011

60
1916 or later --rear view with students and spiral fire escape. 1901 building on the left with grammar school annex on the right. Fire Escape added in 1916.
--from the Lower Merion School District Directory 1925-1926

65
Domestic Science, circa 1918. --Swartz Collection no. BS989

73
In August 1963 the School Board decided to close the Ardmore Avenue elementary school and distribute its 188 Negro and 35 white students to 4 other schools.

74
On 1963-08-26, the School Board moved and seconded to close the Ardmore Ave school and distribute the students as detailed in Plan III - 1A (the next image). After about 50 people spoke, the motion was CARRIED unanimously.

78
At the opening of school 10 days later, plan III-1A assigned the students to four schools. The Ardmore Ave school was closed.

80
In 1965, two years after it was last used, the buildings were demolished. From the caption: "abandoned two years ago in order to achieve better 'racial balance.' " --Probably from the Main Line Chronicle.

82
After making a proposal to the School Board in September 1966, the NAACP picketed the School District, as reported in the High School newspaper. They noted that the only non-white employees in the schools were one Negro teacher (and 511 white), one bus driver (of 18), and 10 (of 12) non-white janitors. There were no Negros among the 45 clerks and secretaries.

85
Built on the school site in 1986, Ardmore House is a conveniently located suburban housing facility for the elderly and disabled. Part of the HUD network, Ardmore House strives to provide assistance to those with low-income needs.

90
Ardmore House (rear)
Main Line Times article on its 25th anniversary is here

92
2013 plaque commemorating the Moment of Integration of this school with other elementary schools