Living History With Ted Goldsborough Episodes
“Living History” is an interview program with participants talking about Lower Merion or Narberth. NOTE: Some pages may take time to load.
- ABC House, Dr. Patricia Zita Krisch discusses a book she wrote entitled “A House Alive with Words” about the ABC House in Ardmore, Pa. A Better Chance is a national program which enables intercity high school students of color to attend excellent schools, which, in this case, is Lower Merion High School. Dr. Krisch has been on the Board of Directors of ABC in Lower Merion for 20 years. Recorded in 2015.
- Affordable Housing in Lower Merion. Mrs. Maryam Walker Phillips & Nolan N. Atkinson, Jr, Esq, both former Lower Merion Township Commissioners, discuss Affordable Housing projects in the township from the 1970s to the present. Recorded in 2015.
- Anderson, Mrs. Christina, granddaughter of C. Alfred “Chief” Anderson, who was raised in Bryn Mawr, who became an instructor of the Tuskegee Airmen in WW II. The Chief’s father was a “coachman” at Miss Eliza Wright’s School for Girls. Recorded in January 2014.
- Ardmore Junior High School. Kenneth Trotter, Lower Merion High School class of 1946, and Dennis Dool, both retired teachers from Ardmore Junior High School recall events and staff in the granite and limestone building, which stood adjacent to Lower Merion Senior High School and the Administration Building at 235-325 East Montgomery Ave. Ardmore. Originally called Lower Merion Township Junior High School from 1924-1939, once Bala Cynwyd Junior High School opened in 1939, the name was changed to Ardmore Junior High School. Above its entrance on Montgomery Ave. was a limestone plaque stating: “Enter to Learn Go Forth to Serve” Many staff and students acknowledge there was a special feeling of cooperation, tolerance, and friendship at the school, of being one big family. “It’s not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog.” It closed in 1978 due to declining enrollment and was demolished c. 1992. Recorded in 2014.
- Atkinson, Nolan N., Jr., Esq., Harriton High School 1960. African American attorney, grew up in Bryn Mawr where his father was a medical doctor. Lower Merion’s first African American Commissioner representing Ardmore and Haverford. Partner at Duane Morris LLP in Philadelphia. Recorded in 2012.
- Bala Cynwyd Junior High, 1955. Lita Indzel Cohen, Esquire, a Distinguished Alumna of Lower Merion High School, and Marlene Bronstein Dubin, both Lower Merion High School graduates in 1958, discuss customs in the 1950’s, when they were at Bala Cynwyd Junior High, including classes, dress codes, conduct, physical plant, sports, and extra-curricular activities. Bala Cynwyd opened in 1939 with grades 7 through 9. Since 1978, when it became a middle school, it encompasses grades 6 through 8. The impressive brick building is located at 510 Bryn Mawr Ave. in Bala Cynwyd. Recorded April, 2014.
- Becton, Lt. General Julius W., Jr. (USA-Ret.), Lower Merion High School, 1944. Attended Bryn Mawr Elementary School, African American, Grew up at Bryn Mawr Court [College Hall] Apts. at Montgomery and Morris Aves. Rose to be a Lieutenant General in the Army, one of the highest-ranking African Americans in U.S. military history. He is a Distinguished Alumnus of Lower Merion High School. Recorded September 11, 2013.
- Buten, Max, Lower Merion High School, 1950. The Buten family bought Curtis Institute director Josef Hofmann’s house on Bowman Ave in 1941. They were among the early Jewish families in Lower Merion, active in the expansion of Temple Adath Israel. From 1958 to 1988 most of the house was occupied by the Buten Museum of Wedgwood. Max was an officer in the family business, Buten Paints, and is now a director of the Lower Merion Historical Society. Recorded June/July 2012.
- Byerley, David A., Lower Merion High School 1945. Son of Russell & Evelyn Byerley who taught at Lower Merion High School and Merion Elementary School. respectively. Russell Byerley edited World War II letters from Lower Merion High School students. Recorded October 2012.
- Cynwyd School Centennial, 2014. Flicker, Mrs. Arlene, retired Cynwyd School teacher. Recorded February 2014.
- Cynwyd Station. Jerry Francis, President of the Lower Merion Historical Society, discusses the revitalization of the 1890 Pennsylvania Railroad’s (PRR) Cynwyd station. This branch of the PRR, called the Schuylkill Valley Division, opened in the 1880’s to compete with the Reading Railroad in bringing coal to Philadelphia. George Brooke Roberts, President of the PRR, lived in Bala Cynwyd. The early train stations served as post offices. Station masters/mistresses lived in them. This interview reviews the history of the Cynwyd brick-and-timber station during a 6-year project undertaken by the Lower Merion Historical Society with partial funding from Montgomery County, Lower Merion Township, and the historical society. Recorded April 2015.
- Dixon, Helene Porter, Lower Merion High School 1944. River Road resident whose family ran a small store on River Road at Mill Creek Rd. before the Schuylkill Expressway in the 1950’s. Information about Dr. Ludlum’s Sanitarium in Rose Glen, a section of Gladwyne. Recorded February/March 2011.
- Edgerton, Dr. Samuel Y., Jr., and Mrs. Dorothy Dugan Edgerton, husband and wife. He Lower Merion High School 1944, She Merion Mercy Academy 1948. He was an NAACP member in 1963. Concerned about education at Ardmore Avenue School. She spoke about Merion Mercy. Recorded September 2013.
- Fish, David, a third-generation jeweler in Bryn Mawr. Recorded January/February 2012.
- Giersch, Dr. Herman C., Distinguished Alumnus of Lower Merion High School 1932. Recorded with his former violin student Ed Minshall, growing up in Bryn Mawr and teaching music in the Lower Merion School District. In World War II his Army unit liberated a concentration camp. Recorded March 2012
- Goldsborough, Ted, Lower Merion High School 1957, tells of growing up in Narberth, graduating from Allegheny College, teaching for 28 years in the Lower Merion School District, and some of the organizations with which he was involved.
- Lewis, Edward Davis, His grandfather, Theobold Harsch, was a Narberth contractor c. 1900, who was an owner of part of a quarry on Rock Hill Road in Bala Cynwyd. Provided crushed stone for “paving” some Narberth streets. Built a stone house on Sabine Ave. in Narberth. Recorded August 2013.
- McCabe, Patrick, Jr., Rock Hill Quarry. Grew up at 2 Radcliff Road. Bala Cynwyd, in a house built of stone from Rock Hill Quarry. Attended St. Matthias Parish in Bala Cynwyd. Served in the U. S. Navy. Wife died of breast cancer. Recorded in 5 segments in the fall of 2012 and January 2013
- Merion Fire Company. Tom Hayden, Fire Chief, Merion Fire Co. of Ardmore, Pa., discusses the history of this first fire brigade in Lower Merion and Narberth, which started in 1890 with the apparatus pulled by firemen, then horses before mechanized engines were acquired in 1911. Due to its proximity on Lancaster Ave. and later Greenfield Ave. adjacent to The Autocar Company, for years Merion Fire Co. used Autocar fire trucks. Many serious fires were discussed and photographs shown in this interview. Recorded Dec. 2014.
- Merion Tribute House, 625 Hazelhurst Ave. in Merion Station, was built of native stone to honor those who served from Merion in World War I. It was dedicated May 1924. Colette Speakman, Lower Merion High School 1984, Manager of the Tribute House, tells the history and uses of this historical structure.
- Minshall, Edward M., Lower Merion High School,1946. He and his family worked for The Autocar Co., which was a car and truck factory on Lancaster and Greenfield Aves. in Ardmore from 1900 until 1954. His family were early settlers when Penn Wynne was developed in the 1920’s. Recorded April/May 2011.
- Moment of Integration. Holland, Wendell F., Esq. [a Distinguished Alumnus of Lower Merion High School] and Antonoplos, Michael J., both attended Lower Merion High School 1970. Ardmore Ave. School’s closing and resulting integration at four Lower Merion School District elementary schools: “A Moment of Integration” (MOI) in 1963. Historic Marker erected on Ardmore Ave. Recorded in 2013.
- Monier, Mrs. Gladys Baker Reynolds, Friends Central School alumna. Grew up on Bala Avenue in Bala Cynwyd. Later lived in Merion Park. World War II Red Cross volunteer. Filmed at Beaumont Retirement Community in Bryn Mawr in 2011.
- Narberth Public School. Robert H. Jordan, Ph.D. and Caryn McTighe Musil, Ph.D., both Lower Merion High School class of 1962, discuss attending and the history of Narberth Public School (NPS), which was at the corner of North Essex and Sabine Avenues in Narberth from 1892 until it closed as a public school in 1978. At times during its history, NPS included all grades from kindergarten through high school; however, from c. the 1930’s until c. 1960, the grading was K-8 Total class size, broken into two sections, was generally 35-45 students. Recorded in 2014.
- Narbrook Park. Narberth, began in 1915-’16. Dr. Elaine Reed and Mrs. Louise Slama, Park residents, discuss this unique community. Recorded 2014.
- Phillips, Maryam Walker Puller. Harriton High School 1977, talked of her childhood on W. Spring Ave. in Ardmore, when she and her family visited the Ardmore Free Library, where she acted as a page and later became Head Librarian there and eventually Director of all Lower Merion Township libraries. Maryam represented the South Ardmore community as a Commissioner from 2002-2009, following her role-model and neighbor, the late Ora Reed Pierce, Lower Merion High School class of 1954. Recorded in 2014.
- Weer, Frank A. Lower Merion High School 1952. Grew up in Gladwyne at the Philadelphia Country Club. Frank attended the Technical Division of Lower Merion High School. His career was spent working for three railroads: The Pennsylvania Railroad, The Reading Co., and Conrail. Recorded October/November 2011.