Haverford Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers)
Between Lancaster Ave and Haverford Rd
Haverford PA 19041-1228
The first meeting of the Society of Friends near Haverford, Pennsylvania, of which there is record was held in April, 1684. Meetinghouses were soon built in Merion, Haverford near Oakmont, and Radnor at Ithan, where meetings for worship were held in turn. In 1827, a group of 70 Friends began to meet in a tenant house on Samuel Garrigues’ farm, but this proved to be too small after the opening of Haverford College in 1833.
The present house on Buck Lane was built in 1834 where the first meeting was held on November 23 of that year. Members of the faculty and students of Haverford College have been meeting together regularly in this house since then. The meetinghouse was enlarged in 1894 and the Sunday School wing was added in 1904.
This information is a combination of research collected by the WPA project in 1937 and by S. Hamill Horne of the Lower Merion Historical Society in 2003. Two numbering systems of the rows and grave sites are available, one from the Quaker records and one created by the WPA project. Transcription of the WPA work and additional information were provided by Scott and Kathryn Ives. Research at Haverford Meeting continues in order to have a more complete listing.
Updated November, 2003