Rosemont College was opened by the Sisters of the Holy Child in 1921 as a Catholic liberal arts college for women. The nuns had purchased the 32-room mansion of Joseph Sinnott for $250,000. At first the renovated mansion composed the whole college: dormitory space for students, a convent for the nuns, a chapel, classrooms, eating facilities, and offices. There were seven students in Rosemont’s first class…two were in the first graduating class in 1924. By 1931, the college had six buildings and 160 students. Rosemont still retains its original commitment to the education of women in its undergraduate liberal arts college. Beginning in the 1980s the first of six graduate programs, opened to both men and women, was introduced and in the 1990s an accelerated undergraduate program, also coeducational, was initiated.