The Dove Mill District
Detailed maps of the mills of Mill Creek in colonial times. Drawn by Dr. Douglas Macfarlan in 1941. The Dove Mill was probably built in 1748 and used as a grist and fulling mill by David Davis. In 1750 it definitely belonged to Conrad Sheetz, the Germantown paper-maker. It was handed down through the family and their in-laws, Francis Sheets, Kenerer, and Helmhold until 1798 when it was acquired by Amies, the Swiss foreman of Wilcox’s Ivy Mill (paper making). Amis appropriated the Wilcox water-mark – the dove with a sprig of ivy in its beak – and named the mill Dove Mill. It became famous for its paper under Amies management.Later (1851) Charles Humphreys operated a cotton factory here, and Will Hampton and Sam. Williamson also owned the mill (n.d.) – “At one time sewing machines were made here” (Aunt Leidy Super). Katie Sheetz, a decendant, lived to an old age in a delapidated frame house opposite the milestone.
“Merion Square” Gladwyn [sic]
Eastern section of Mill Creek Ardmore. J.L. Smith’s map of 1886 (with additions by D. Mcfarlan)
Mills near the mouth of Mill Creek
J.L. Smith map of 1886 with additions by D. Macfarlan.The factories and mills along Mill Creek changed hands many times during the years, and were put to many different uses. Many are now in ruins and only foundations or remnants of dams are seen.