Antique Maps of Lower Merion & Neighboring Areas
1851 Edition by John Howell Levering. Survey of buildings, names of property holders, boundaries of lots and farms. Levering was an employee of the surveying and civil engineering departments of the City of Philadelphia, and the Levering family was the owner of grist and saw mills in Lower Merion from the 1700s.
1934 Colonial Roads, Fords and Ferries near Philadelphia. Drawn by Dr. Douglas Macfarlan in 1934.
1937 The Mills of Mill Creek, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania as They Were in 1776 with Certain Additions, etc. Drawn by Dr. Douglas Macfarlan in 1937.
“This creek was a hive of industry in the early days. Flour was ground, logs were sawed, paper was made, and gun powder was manufactured. Later many of the mills became cotton factories. Early in the last century [note: 1800s]steam began to supplant water-power for the mills.”
– From the lecture notes of Douglas Macfarlan
1942 Lower Merion Township, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania. Historical Map: Old Homes, Mills, Schools, Parks, Play Grounds & Public Improvements. Drawn by Dr. Douglas Macfarlan in 1942.
1942 The Main Line: A Historical Map of Ye Outlying Regions. Made for Your Enjoyment by Sally Jean & Nancy Robertson & Drawn by Hugh Robertson during the very cold winter of 1942. Revised & Corrected 1946.
1920 Plan Showing Location of Philadelphia and Columbia Railroad (as Constructed by the State of Pennsylvania) from Columbia Bridge over Schuykill Rover to its Junction with Present Main Line of Pennsylvania Railroad at Anderson’s Lane, Later Athensville, Now Ardmore. Traced for John C. Trautwine, Jr. from T.H. Mueller’s reproduction of John Levering’s Map of Lower Merion Township, 1851 with data from other sources by Charles R. Barker, June 1920.